Baphumelele Educare Centre is a pre-school and creche in the Khayelitsha township in Cape Town. It was begun by a remarkable compassionate woman Rosie Mashale.
More information about the project
The Trust has aligned itself with the Baphumelele Childrenâ€™s Home and Educare centre in Khayelitsha in 2006. This pre-school and creche was started by a remarkable compassionate woman called Rosie Mashale.
With donations from local and international donors, a school was built which currently absorbs approximately 250 children from the community of Khyaletisha. Approximately 35 of these children come from the Baphumelele Childrenâ€™s Home which was also started by Rosie – this Home provides a safe haven and loving home for abandoned, ill and abused children.
Parents pay a meagre fee (approx R100/month) for their children to attend teh educare centre. These fees are used to cover the salaries of the 21 teacher/aids; food (breakfast, lunch and tea are provided) and general upkeep of the centre.
However, there is always a shortage of funds and certainly never any funds to buy equipment that the school desperately needs. Before the trust got involved with this project, the school required things like educational toys, books, games, building toys, and art equipment.
The following activities have also been undertaken by the trust over its years of support and involvement at Baphumelele:
- replacing broken toilets
- fixing leaking roofs and/or damp walls
- fitting lights in dark & gloomy areas
- building new sleeping quarters in some areas of the childrenâ€™s home
- painting the interior & exterior of some rooms/buildings
- tiling some floor/wall areas
- providing furniture and equipment as needed
- arranging outings for the children
- creating a â€œsponsor-a-childâ€ campaign for the childrenâ€™s home